Try, Try Again:
Last Spring, during my graduation from New York University: Gallatin School of Individualized Study, there was some advice offered to us by Dean Susanne Wofford that stuck with me: you never know until you apply. Granted I am a rather skeptical, cynical, and pessimistic individual, I don’t usually take what’s said during a graduation ceremony very seriously. But I thought that this simply notion had its merits.
That’s why I’ve taken it upon myself to apply to as many fellowships, programs, etc. no matter how slim the chances of being accepted are. Yes, I’ve already been rejected by a few. But I’m trying everything, hoping something will hit. I mean, it only takes one!
Here is a list of the fellowships/programs I’ve applied to so far and am currently waiting to hear from:
- The 2012 PAGE International Screenwriting Awards: Two scripts entered. Quarter-Finalists announced July 15th; Semi-Finalists, August 15th; Finalists, September 15th; and Winners, October 15th.
- The Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting Competition: Two scripts entered. Quarterfinal round notified late July; Semifinalists, late August; Finalists, late September to early October; and Fellowships recipients, late October.
- Sundance Screenwriters Lab: One script entered. Second round notified August 15.
- Film Independent Screenwriters Lab: One script entered. Announced via email by the end of July.
- Austin Film Festival: One script entered. First Round/Second Round, letter sent by late August; Semifinalist, phone call by late August; Finalists, mid to late September; Winners, October 22 at the Awards Luncheon at the Conference.
- Kaos Films’s 2012 British Short Screenplay Competition: One script entered. According to last year… semi-finalists, September; finalists, February; winners, March?
- Screenwriters Goldmine Competition: One script entered. Quarter Finalists, October 4th; Semi Finalists, November 1st; Finalists, November 22nd; and Grand Award Winner, November 29th.
- 10th Annual American Zoetrope Screenplay Contest: One script entered. The winner, ten finalists, semi-finalists, and quarter finalists all announced on February 1, 2013.
- The Emerging Screenwriters 2012 Screenplay Competition: One script entered. Semi-Finalists, February 1; Finalists, March 1; Grand Prize Winner, March 15.
- The BlueCat Screenplay Competition: One script entered. Quarter-Finalists, February 1st; Semi-Finalists, March 1st; Finalists, April 1st; Winner, April 10th.
- The Big Bear Lake International Film Festival — Screenwriters: One script entered. Finalists = September 1, 2013. Winners = September 23, 2013.
- Creative World Awards: Two scripts entered. Preliminary Finalists = August 11th, 2013. Quater Finalists = August 19th. Semi Finalists = August 26th. Finalists = September 2nd. Winner = September 9th.
It would be a dream and an honor to be accepted by any of these programs!! Waiting for some good news!
Fellowships/grants/programs I’d like to apply to in the future:
- SFFS/Hearst Screenwriting Grant
- Djerassi/SFFS Screenwriting Fellowship
- The Blake Society Tithe Grant
- Creative Capital Grants
In the next few weeks, I hope to continue my search for a decent job in the San Francisco Bay Area, get the Hollywood Creative Directory and send out inquiry letters, and continue to develop my new screenplay and new graphic novel.
Also, I’m thinking of trying out Kickstarter.com. We’ll see how everything goes.
For more updates, don’t forget to follow me on tumblr and/or twitter.
Copyright 2012 by G. E. Gallas