Related Post: Cross-Country Adventure Hiatus!
Not much happened on the road… But this was the highlight of my cross-country trip!
To my surprise, right next to our hotel in Kansas was this charming 19th-century cemetery. So I thought I’d jump the very short fence with my shiba inu Nikki (who I had to throw over) and have ourselves a little adventure.🙂
The most interesting tidbit about Tomahawk Cemetery is that there is a total of 65 marked unknown graves.
During a street widening project in the early 1990s, the City of Overland Park identified 30 obvious graves that would have to be relocated to another area of the cemetery to accommodate utilities. Some graves were missing headstones and many stones were illegible… Some of the graves identified had headstones that were moved, and for those missing headstones, new granite markers were be placed. While moving the graves, a large number of unmarked graves were uncovered, moved, and also marked. —Johnson County KSGenWeb
Please visit my store: thepoetandtheflea.storenvy.com!
For more updates, follow me on facebook, tumblr and twitter.
Copyright 2013 by G. E. Gallas
Here is a brief update on my current creative projects and endeavors…!
In the midst of a horrible cold… (✖╭╮✖)
Friday, July 13th
- In the mail, finally received “Documentation of Registration” for Who is Laurence Harvey? and The Golden Curator from The Writers Guild of America, West.
Saturday, July 14th
- On Craigslist, have responded to a few posts about writing and creative projects. We’ll see how it goes…
Sunday, July 15th
- After a nerve-wracking wait, Who is Laurence Harvey? did not make it into the quarter finals of The 2012 PAGE International Screenwriting Awards. But I’m still happy that the screenplay made it into the second round (the top 25%). Now I have 6-8 more contests/competitions to hear back from in the coming months. Next up, The Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting Competition Quarterfinal Round and the Film Independent Screenwriters Lab…
- Looking into The Alternative Press Expo (APE) in San Francisco, October 13-14. I think it’s too late to get a table, but I’d like to attend, schmooze, get some more information about the publishers I’m interested in, and possibly promote The Poet and the Flea a bit.
Tuesday, July 17th
- Responded to a Craigslist post about someone writing a graphic novel who’s looking for an artist/illustrator. Had some e-mail correspondence with her. Planning to meet on Tuesday (24th). Looking forward to it!
Wednesday, July 18th
- Craigslist, craigslist, craigslist…
- Applied to The American Zoetrope Screenplay Contest! Information updated on “Applications” post, here.
Thursday, July 19th
- Added behind-the-scenes images to my (almost-but-not-quite-forgotten) Pinterest: pinterest.com/gegallas.
- Slowly but surely working on the-poet-and-the-flea.tumblr.com.
Friday, July 20th
- Craigslist, craigslist, craigslist…
Saturday, July 21th
- Attended The Pixel-Flick TV Actor/Filmmaker Alliance’s first meeting. Thought it went very well! The producer/director/CEO of Pixel Flick Entertainment, Brian Stephens, sounds like he has a lot of experience and knows what he’s talking about. He’s organizing this alliance to facilitate filmmakers in the Bay Area and showcase their work. Seems like a wonderful opportunity!
Monday, July 23rd
- Took care of some important e-mails today.
Tuesday, July 24th
- My meeting with the graphic novel author Shannon Brady went really well. I think her concept is really intriguing and she’s very passionate about the topic. I think this is going to be a successful collaboration!
- The Poet and the Flea: 37 pages of written script (1 page of script = 4-6 illustrated pages), and about 36 pages (1-12, 14, 16, 21 completed, and 13, 15, 17-20, 22-36 in progress) of illustrated work.
- Considering developing my short story entitled “Inside the Display Case” (about a Siberian pit viper named Peter) into a graphic novel.
- Developing a new short film script called Death of the Poet.
- Stumbled upon an idea for a children’s book…
- My third full-length screenplay called The Modern Prometheus is currently resting on the back burner temporarily.
- Sign up with IMDbPro.
- Apply to the Bluecat Screenplay Competition (before October 15th).
- Begin work on character sketches for Shannon!
For more updates, don’t forget to follow me on tumblr and/or twitter.
Copyright 2012 by G. E. Gallas